|The Druid Hall at 2412 Ames Avenue, home of Omaha's Prince Hall Masons.|
Druid Hall is significant not only to the ethnic history of Omaha but also to the fraternal history of Omaha. Three prestigious fraternities have either leased or owned Druid Hall over the last century. Woodmen of the World, D Louis Black Post #3421 Veterans of Foreign War and the Most Worshipful Prince Hall Grand Lodge of Nebraska.
Omaha architect Joseph P. Guth was commissioned to design Druid Hall. Guth was born and trained in Germany and worked in the engineering department of the Union Pacific Railway in Omaha until 1887, when he decided to start an independent career. He built several prominent buildings in that era of Omaha's history, including the Prague Hotel in 1898, the Omaha Casket Company in 1905, and several other commercial and residential buildings. Guth was also fraternally connected with the Benevolent Order of the Elks.
|The Druid Hall building announcement in the Omaha Bee from 1915. Scan by Micah Evans.|
You can learn more about the Most Worshipful Grand Lodge of Nebraska at http://www.mwphglne.org/. Contact Mrs. Karen Clopton, the author of this article, here.
* Omaha Bee Apr 25 1915
* 1920 us census,
* Omaha: the Gate city, and Douglas County, Nebraska; (Volume 2) Arthur Cooper Wakeley
Chicago, The S.J. Clarke publishing co. 643-43
* Omaha World Herald March 10 1915
* Omaha World Herald Jan 15 1915
* Omaha World Herald Mar 19 1915
* Omaha World Herald May 19 1928
* Omaha World Herald Mar 21 1915
* Patterns of landscape Heritage Conservation in North Omaha-Landmarks Heritage Preservation Committee 1984.
* Omaha World Herald Apr 18 1915
* Omaha World Herald Sep 17 1916
* Omaha World Herald Sep 30 1916
* Omaha World Herald Feb 16 1919
* Omaha World Herald May 1 1918
* Omaha World Herald Jan 31 1922
* Abstract Deed
* Omaha World Herald Nov 28 1935
* History of D. Louis Black Post 3421 Veterans of Foreign Wars of the USA from Post Commander Kerry Lindstrom
* Abstract Deed
* Omaha World Herald Nov 11 1967
* Omaha World Herald Jun 9 1968